Monday, December 28, 2020

Joining of Sentences: page - 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 solution to English Grammar Class vi

 


Page 117

Join each set of sentences into a Simple Sentence by using a Participle or an Adjective:

(i)                         Finishing my work I laid down to rest.

(ii)                      Being tired he stopped his work.

(iii)                   Opening the drawer he took out a revolver.

(iv)                   I saw an old man crossing the street.

(v)                      Being angry she did not help me.

(vi)                   We had a deep well.

(vii)                We looked at the burning house.

(viii)             Seeing a snake she ran away.

(ix)                   She received a letter written by her friend from Delhi.

(x)                      Being extremely tired the old man sat down under a shady tree.

Page 118

Combine each set of sentences into a Simple Sentence by using an Infinitive:

(i)                         I went there to meet her.

(ii)                      She sold her necklace to pay off her debt.

(iii)                   Give me some money to buy a camera.

(iv)                   He has a large family to maintain.

(v)                      I had no pen to write with.

(vi)                   The man was too old to do any work.

(vii)                I have some friends to stand by me.

(viii)             Rabindranath Tagore was the first Indian to get Nobel Prize.

(ix)                   He works hard to earn his living.

(x)                       I speak the truth at any cost.

Page 118

Combine each set of sentences into a Simple Sentence by using a Noun or Phrase in Apposition.

(i)                         Akbar, a great Mughal emperor was tolerant of all religions.

(ii)                      Alexander, a great king invaded India.

(iii)                   Iqbal, a great poet was a Punjabi.

(iv)                   Kalidas wrote ‘Shakuntala’, a play in Sanskrit.

(v)                      My son, a mere lad could not compete successfully.

(vi)                   Coal, a very useful mineral is found in Bihar.

(vii)                ‘The Gitanjali’, the most famous book of Tagore is a collection of lyrics.

(viii)             Delhi, a historic city is the capital of India.

(ix)                   I like my faithful dog, tiger.

(x)                      Tenzing scaled Mount Everest, the highest mountain peak in the world,

Page 119

Join each set of sentences into a Simple Sentence by using a Preposition with a noun or a Gerund:

(i)                         The thieves broke into his house in his absence.

(ii)                      He did his duty well for earning a promotion.

(iii)                   The man amused us by singing a funny song.

(iv)                   We resumed our journey after sunrise.

(v)                      She could not join the tour because of her illness.

(vi)                   You must help me for my success. Or, But for your help, I cannot succeed.

(vii)                He must confess his guilt for escaping punishment.

(viii)             I took no notice of his rudeness.

(ix)                   I helped her with money for proving my love for her.

(x)                      I examined the paper consists of many mistakes. Or,  I examined the paper full of mistakes.

Page 120

Combine each set of sentences into a Simple Sentence by using a Preposition with an Adverb or Adverbial Phrase: (There is an instructional error in this exercise. ‘with’ should be ‘or’.)

(i)                         He answered me incorrectly.

(ii)                      She spent all her money foolishly.

(iii)                   The train was usually late.

(iv)                   He solved the problem in no time.

(v)                      He is certainly a wicked man.

(vi)                   He kicked the dog intentionally.

(vii)                She lost her spectacles carelessly.

(viii)             He admitted his error regretfully.

(ix)                   He fought alone helplessly.

(x)                      It must be done at any cost.

Page 120

Join each set of sentences into a Simple Sentence by using an Absolute Phrase:

(i)                         The weather being fine, we enjoyed the outing.

(ii)                     The dinner being over, the party left the place.

(iii)                  The rain having stopped, the sun came out.

(iv)                  The sun having risen, the fog cleared away.

(v)                      It being very cold outside, I didn’t go anywhere.

(vi)                  The police having arrived, the miscreants escaped.

(vii)               Money being tight, business is suffering.

(viii)           The talks having failed, the war broke out.

(ix)                   The bell having rung, the boys entered their classes.

(x)                      The rain having fallen, the crops revived.

Page 121

Join each set of the following sets of sentences by using a Nominal (Noun) Clause:

(i)                         Tell me what your name is.

(ii)                      We know that he has gone.

(iii)                   He is all right but a little weak.

(iv)                   It seems he is ill.

(v)                      Can you tell me who wrote the Geeta?

(vi)                   Can you deny you took the book?

(vii)                The guard asks if it is time for the train to start at.

(viii)             I believe that he has told the truth.

(ix)                   This is done which cannot be undone.

(x)                      We expect that he will succeed.

Page 122

Combine each set of sentences into a Complex Sentence by using a Relative (An Adjective) Clause:

(i)                         This is the house that Jack built.

(ii)                      He is a pleader whose house I have rented.

(iii)                   I know the boy who has stolen my pen.

(iv)                   That is the place where I was born.

(v)                      The fox saw the grapes that hung over the garden wall.

(vi)                   I want to know the reason why you have failed.

(vii)                A farmer had a hen that laid a golden egg every day.

(viii)             My brother sent me a letter which had no stamp on it.

(ix)                   I like such men who are true to their words.

(x)                      He taught me a lesson that I cannot forget so soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment