Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Comparison


Exercise 1. Complete the following sentences using a Comparative form.
(i) I Can’t afford this dress. Could you show me something cheaper?
(ii) You are looking thinner. Have you been dieting?
(iii) The boy is too close to the television. Ask him to move a bit farther.
(iv) We are late for the show. We should have come earlier.
(v) These rooms are large. I expected them to be smaller.
(vi) You are too young for this role. We need someone older.
(vii) Put a little more sugar in my cup. I like my tea to be sweeter.
(viii) This paragraph is not very good. I’m sure you can write better.
(ix) It’s too noisy here. Let us go to a quieter place.
(x) I can’t understand these books. Give me something easier.
(xi) Garima’s house is 4 km away from the school. Sunita’s house is 2 km away from the school. Sumita lives nearer.
(xii) Arjun is 165 cm tall. Karna is 175 cm tall, Arjun is taller.
(xiii) Ingram came at 6 o’clock. Ipak came at half-past six. Ipak came later than Ingam.
2. Rewrite each sentence starting with the words given:
(i) The dog is one of the most faithful animals. Very few animals are so faithful as the dog.
(ii) Very few languages are as rich as Tamil. Tamil is one of the richest languages.
(iii) Fewer people live in Sikkim than Uttar Pradesh. The population of Uttar Pradesh is bigger than that of Sikkim.
(iv) It’s not as warm in Mumbai as in Ajmer. Ajmer is warmer than Mumbai.
(v) No one has ever paid me such a nice compliment. That’s the nicest one.
4. Fill in the blanks with the Comparative or Superlative form of the words in brackets:
(i)The cheetah is one of the fastest animals. (fast)
(ii) Madhya Pradesh is a very large state, but Uttar Pradesh is larger. (large)
(iii) Of the Ganga and the Narmada, which one is the longer? (long)
(iv) I have three sisters. The eldest is twenty-one years old. (elder)
(v) These paintings from Kangra appear to be the most beautiful ones in the gallery. (beautiful)
6. These sentences contain errors related to comparisons. Rewrite them in the corrected form:
(The only answer is provided)
(i)Sanjeev is taller than Ranbir.
(ii) Which is the easiest to learn – French, Russian, or English?
(iii) Chandni Chawk is the most important business center in Delhi.
(iv) It is hotter today than yesterday.
(v) This is the better of the two books on the subject.
(vi) Have you heard the latest news?
(vii) She secured more marks than that of mine.
(viii) Who is the taller – you or me?
(ix) It was the most generous of you to help me.
(x) Brian Lara is a great batsman of the world.
7. Correct the following sentences:
(i) It is very cold today.
(ii) They went to the market directly.
(iii) I am wise enough to see through your tricks.
(iv) Please listen to me. Or  Kindly listen to me.
(v) The patient seems better today.
(vi) Write on only one side of the answer sheet.
(vii) The younger sister is taller than the elder one.
(viii) The classroom is very small for fifty students.


1 comment: