Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Ball Poem: ncert solution - Class 10


                             
                                                       Thinking about the Poem. Page- 47
In pair, attempt the following questions:
1. Why does the poet say, “I would not intrude on him”? Why doesn’t he offer him money to buy another ball?
Ans: The poet says, “I would not intrude on him” because the boy is in a state of emotional grief. He is now completely shaken by the loss of the ball he liked very much. It is quite clear that he at this very moment, does not want any money. And so, he is not ready to be intruded on. This is the reason why the poet does not offer him money to buy another ball.
2. “….staring down/All his young days into the harbor where/His ball went.”
Do you think the boy has had the ball for a long time? Is it linked to the memories of days when he played with it?
Ans: Yes. I do think; the boy has had the ball for a long time. He is staring down to look for the ball he has been playing with, for a long time. He is compelled to link to the memories of so many days spent with the ball. Now he is not able to forget the ball he has lost.
3. What does “in the world of possessions” mean?
Ans: “The world of possessions” indicates the world of ownership and consumerism, in which an individual is only entitled to possess the materials, which he/she can use/consume according to his/her desires and wishes.
4. Do you think the boy has lost anything earlier? Pick out the words that suggest the answers.
Ans: I don’t think the boy has lost anything earlier. It is because he is very upset after he has lost his ball. Now, he wants to get only the ball very eagerly. I do think; he would not have been so upset if he had lost anything earlier. He must have gathered experience to overcome the grief created by the loss of the ball.
The words that suggest the answers are as follows:
Ultimate shaking grief,
Stand rigid,
Trembling,
Staring down
What is the boy now, who has lost the boy?
5. What does the poet say the boy is learning from the loss of the ball? Try to explain this in your own words.
Ans: The poet says that the boy is learning the reality of possession. Something which is possessed by an individual does not last long. He is also learning how to overcome the grief created by the loss of the ball which he liked
very much. In nutshell, the poet wants to say that the boy is now able to sense the nature of loss in the world of possessions.
6. Have you ever lost something you liked very much? Write a paragraph describing how you felt then, and saying whether—and now – you got over your loss.
Ans: Yes. I have lost my bat which I liked very much. It was lost when I was in standard six. My father had purchased a very good bat suitable for my age. I used to play with the bat along with my playmates. We were very happy. One day it started raining very heavily while we were playing. Now all of us went to a mill very close to the playground. After an hour I along with my friends returned to our homes. I forgot to take my bat kept in the mill. I never got it again. It may be possible that someone may have used my bat as firewood. I did not play continuously for two days. My new bat prepared me to forget the lost one.


No comments:

Post a Comment