Monday, April 20, 2020

Dust of Snow: by Robert Frost - ncert solution Class 10


Thinking about the Poem.
This poem represents a moment that seems simple but has a larger significance. (Compare this other quotation from Robert Frost: “Always, always a larger significance… A little thing touches a larger thing.”)
1. What is a “dust of snow”? What does the poet say has changed his mood? How has the poet’s mood changed?
Ans:  A “dust of snow” indicates the tiny fragments of snow apprehended closely and softly. The mood of the poet was completely changed by the dust of snow falling on him. He experienced the soft and beautiful touch of nature.
2. How does Frost present nature in this poem? The following questions may help you to think of an answer.
(i) What are the birds that are usually named in poems? Do you think a crow is often mentioned in poems? What images come to your mind when you think of a crow?
Ans: There are so many birds used in the poems. They are parrot, hummingbird, cuckoo, woodpecker, etc. I don’t think the crow is often mentioned in the poems.
People have different images of crows. Some say when a crow is seen, guests arrive. If I see a crow early morning, surely a guest will arrive. It is my experience since my childhood. Crow takes the bread from the hands of the children without any hesitation. They are very cunning. It is believed that crow sometimes brings heavy and dangerous rainfall. I also think it sponsors ill omen.
(ii) Again, what is “a hemlock tree”? Why doesn’t the poet write about a more ‘beautiful’ tree such as a maple, or an oak, or a pine?
Ans:  “A hemlock tree” is a small but very dangerous plant. It is known for its poison. As we know poison is not in any way soothing ointment but a destructive substance that causes unbearable pain and suffering. By using the ‘hemlock’ tree the poet wants to represent his mental state full of anxieties, disappointment, and sorrow. 
(iii) What do the ‘crow’ and ‘hemlock’ represent - joy or sorrow? What does the dust of snow that the crow shakes off a hemlock tree stand for?
Ans: Both ‘crow’ and ‘hemlock’ represent sorrow, but the ‘dust of snow’ is quite different from the crow and the hemlock. The dust of snow stands for pleasure and happiness along with its natural beauty.
3. Have there been times when you felt depressed or hopeless? Have you experienced a similar moment that changed your mood that day?
Ans:  I cannot forget the day when I was in Class 6. My science teacher assigned us some home works. We were to submit the same the very next day. Our classes were to be terminated for Puja vacation only after a few days. So, we were in a festive mood. I, along with my seven friends spent our time playing football in the evening. Tired of playing we went straight to our homes and cook a meal. We showed our parents that we were not tired at all. I also showed that I was able to study how long my parents wanted me to do so. But we did nothing. I did not even talk about my assignments. The very next day when I reach school, I saw some of our friends trying to copy the notes of other classmates. I came to know that 90% of the students in my class had done their assignments. Now I was afraid of my science teacher. He ordered the class monitor to collect the notebooks of science. Monitor did it. He started counting the notebooks. Seven copies were missing. It was just the second period. Now the teacher ordered us to stay outside only for seven periods. We were very sad, but after 4th period our Principal saw us standing in the corridor. He called us and knew the reasons for our standing there and ordered us to do our homework in time. Then and there we were released and pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment