Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Great Stone Face - I: ncert solution class 8


COMPREHENSION CHECK (page-129)
Write 'True 'False' against each of the following statements.
1. The Great Stone Face stood near where Ernest and his mother lived. False.
2. One would clearly distinguish the features of the Stone Face only from a distance. True.
3. Ernest loved his mother and helped her in her work. True.
4. Though not very rich, Gathergold was a skillful merchant. False.
5. Gathergold died in poverty and neglect. True.
6. The Great Stone Face seemed to suggest that Ernest should not fear the general. False.
WORKING WITH THE TEXT. (page-130)
Answer the following questions.
1. (i) What was the Great Stone Face?
Ans:- The Great Stone Face was a creation of nature. It was created or formed by the huge rocks on the side of a mountain in a way that it resembled a human face.
(ii) What did young Ernest wish when he gazed at it?
Ans:- Young Ernest wished that it would speak the words of sympathy. The Great stone face might have a soothing voice with its impressive emotions. He is ready to love the person who resembles the Great stone Face
2. What was the story attributed to the Stone Face?
Ans:- The is that a special child would get his birth one day. He would resemble the Great Stone Face in his youth. The very he would be the greatest and the noblest man throughout his life.
3. What gave the people of the valley the idea that the prophecy was about to come true for the first time?
Ans: A young man named Gathergold appeared in the valley. People said the person had the very same appearance as the Great Stone Face. It was discovered that the person belong to the same valley who left the place very early and now he returned to his native place. He was a great merchant now. This is why people believe that the prophecy was about to come true.
4. (i) Did Ernest see in Gathergold the likeness of the Stone Face?
Ans:-No, Ernest didn’t see the likeness of the Stone Face in Gathergold.
(ii) Who did he confide in and how was he proved right?
Ans:- He confides in the valley of the Great Stone Face. He was proved right because Gathergold did not show anything which could prove his greatness and sympathy to the people. He died very soon facing poverty and scarcity. Ultimately it was declared that he had no likeness of the Great Stone Face.
5. (i) What made people believe General-Blood-and-Thunder was their man?
Ans:- General-blood-and-Thunder got a good position from a soldier. He also returned to his native valley. His friends and relatives said he has the exact likeness of the Great Stone Face. This rumor made the people think that General-blood-and-Thunder was their man.
(ii) Ernest compared the man's face with the Stone Face. What did he conclude?
Ans:- Ernest compared the man’s face with the stone Face but he concluded that there was no likeness between them.
WORKING WITH LANGUAGE (page-130)
1. Look at the following words.
Like         -                 Likeness
Punctual     -                Punctuality
The words on the left are adjectives and those on the right are their noun forms.
Write the noun forms of the following by adding -ness or -ity to them appropriately. Check the spelling of the new words.
(i) lofty   -    loftiness                 (vi) enormous   -     enormity
(ii) able  -    ability                   (vii) pleasant     -     pleasure
(iii) happy   -  happiness               (viii) dee        -     density
(iv)  near  -   nearness                (ix)  gre       -     greatness
(v) noble      - nobility                 (x)  stable     -     stability.
2. Add -ly to each of the following adjectives, then use them to fill in the blanks.
        perfect, near, kind, pleasant, eager
(i) Why didn't you turn up at the meeting? We all were eagerly waiting for you.
(ii) Kindly write your name and address in capital letters.
(iii) I was pleasantly surprised to see him at the railway station. I thought he was not coming.
(iv) It is perfectly believable that I am not responsible for this mess.
(v) He fell over the step and nearly broke his arm.
3. Complete each sentence below using the appropriate form of the verbs in brackets.
(i) I phoned (phone) you when I got (get) home from school.
(ii) Hurry up! Madam will be (be) annoyed if we are (be) late.
(iii) If it rains (rain) today, we shall not (not) go to play.
(iv) When you see (see) Mandal again, you will (not/recognize) him. He is growing a beard.
(v) We are off today. We shall (write) to you after we are (be) back.
SPEAKING AND WRITING (page-131)
1. Imagine you are Ernest. Narrate the story that his mother told him.
Begin like this:  My mother and I were sitting at the door of our cottage. We were looking at the Great Stone
Face. I asked her if she had ever seen anyone who looked like the Stone Face. Then she told me this story.
Ans:- She told me that the Great Stone Face has a mystery. If I wanted to know she could tell me. When I said I wanted to know she told me that a child would be born in the valley. The child on growing up would get the likeness of the Stone Face. He would be the greatest and the noblest man of his time. His pleasant voice would give peace and prosperity to the people.
2. Imagine you are Gathergold. Write briefly the incident of your return to the valley.
Begin like this:  My name is Gathergold. I left the valley of the Great Stone Face fifty years ago. I am now going back home. Will the people of the valley welcome me? Do they know that I am very rich?
Ans:- I believe that the people of my valley would recognize me because I had so many of my friends and familiar people who know me very well. How can they know that I am a very rich man? Should I tell them my history of success? If I tell them the history, would they be happy? Let me go first!               


No comments:

Post a Comment